Let us know about small fires

We’re urging tenants to tell us when things get too hot to handle in their ŌCHT home.

Is this stove safe? A day earlier, unattended cooking caused a small fire that subjected the unit to intense heat and burned the wall.

Is this stove safe? A day earlier, unattended cooking caused a small fire that subjected the unit to intense heat and burned the wall.

We’d like to hear about fires and near misses so we can be sure you and your home are safe.

Always call 111 and ask for “Fire” when any kind of house fire threatens people and property.

And always drop us a line when the callout is over, so we can check everything is okay.

ŌCHT maintenance advisor Therese says Fire and Emergency New Zealand tells ŌCHT about the big fires.

Not all small-scale fires are reported – and that’s where the ŌCHT community comes in.

Even a small-scale fire can damage property and threaten household electrics. See how close this fire was to the power plug - only a specialist check can tell us whether the wall's wiring is still safe.

Even a small-scale fire can damage property and threaten household electrics. See how close this fire was to the power plug – only a specialist check can tell us whether the wall’s wiring is still safe.

“It’s really important people let us know when there is any kind of fire in their unit,” Therese says.

“We can check the home is not smoke damaged and that its electrical components are okay.”

ŌCHT gets an electrician to check wiring and connection points, too.

“Oven or appliance wiring can be damaged by heat or fire and the damage can be hard to spot.

“So, the sooner we know, the sooner we can double-check that you and your home are safe.”

Even small-scale fires can spread smoke and soot through a home. For health and safety, it needs to be cleaned.

Even small-scale fires can spread smoke and soot through a home. For health and safety, it needs to be cleaned.

Cleaning might also need to be arranged to ensure the home is healthy.

There have been several small-scale fires at ŌCHT homes recently.

Most have been in kitchens. Unattended cooking has burned filing units with smoke.

A concerned neighbour called Fire and Emergency New Zealand to a small stovetop fire last week.

The call may have prevented a larger fire. The unit filled with smoke but was not damaged.

Therese says the first step in combating a fire was always to call 111.

The next step in ensuring the home is safe after a fire is to call ŌCHT on 0800 624 456.

The line is monitored 24/7.

Back to News & Publications

Further reading

The Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust
61 Kilmore St,
Christchurch.

Hours: 8.30 am-5.00 pm, Monday-Friday.

Postal: PO Box 53, Christchurch 8140

Feedback and Complaints

Click here to see our feedback and complaints policy.