How do I apply for housing?

The Trust takes applications for housing from the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) Social Housing Register when we have a property vacancy. This allows us to allocate our small number of vacancies to those most in need.

If you have a need for social housing, you should apply to be on the MSD social housing register by phoning 0800 559 009. You can find out more about the social housing register by visiting


Once you have completed your application with MSD and have had your needs assessment with them, let us know. We will ask you to apply online (link here), or complete an OCHT Housing Application Form  with us and we will ask you to give us consent to access your social housing application with MSD to ensure we have enough information to  assist you. We will invite you to a meeting with our Placements Advisor to confirm your housing needs. In some cases, we may ask for tenancy references from your previous landlords and/or confirm with any support workers that our homes are suitable for your needs.


How to Apply for housing

The Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust
61 Kilmore St,

Hours: 8.30 am-5.00 pm, Monday-Friday.

Postal: PO Box 53, Christchurch 8140

Feedback and Complaints

Click here to see our feedback and complaints policy.