Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust is committed to environmental sustainability
Toitū te whenua, environmental sustainability, is one of our core values. Recognising our environmental responsibilities can’t be left to chance – our work is underpinned by a policy that highlights our intentions and educates our direction in our environmental performance.
We have an environmental policy and an environmental management system applying to all ŌCHT members, employees, and contractors. The policy covers all our undertakings in providing safe, warm, secure, and affordable housing. It extends to all locations where we conduct work activities.
Our policy statement
Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust is committed to environmental sustainability.
As an environmentally responsible provider of safe, warm, secure, and affordable housing, we will:
- Understand our place in our environment and reduce our impact.
- Meet environmental laws and regulations.
- Protect our environment and prevent pollution.
- Track, review and keep improving our environmental performance.
- Make environmental objectives part of our strategic plan.
- Involve our community as we plan, and as we do.
- Ensure those we work with meet our sustainability goals.
Where this policy sits
The policy is recognised in the development of the Trust’s strategic plan. It provides a framework for setting environmental objectives in the work we do.
We regularly review our environmental objectives alongside the environmental policy and strategic plan.
What we’re doing
We’re working through a number of initiatives to give life to our policy. They include:
- using energy efficient products to enhance our homes
- seeking to reduce construction waste
- seeking and using recycling or renewable energies
- striving to be a carbon neutral business by 2025
- innovating with green products
- building on time and under budget
- embedding our environmental standards in our work