Who we are
Our purpose is to provide community housing to those most in need of housing. The formation of OCHT in 2016 reflected the wish of the Christchurch City Council to move to a financially sustainable model for its social housing portfolio of approximately 2300 units. The Council is capitalising OCHT with $50 million of land and social housing. Over time it will be redeveloped into warmer, drier more efficient housing.
OCHT’s objective is to provide a tenant-centric service and deliver a financially sustainable portfolio to improve the quality of its housing and increase the supply of community housing in Christchurch. As a Charitable Trust, any surplus income is reinvested back into community housing.
OCHT leases the Council’s social housing portfolio and in addition operates housing owned by the Trust. OCHT provides tenancy management services and minor maintenance services, while the Council retains responsibility for major maintenance, insurance and capital work programmes, funded through the income OCHT returns to CCC.
OCHT has a five- year commercial lease agreement with Council with five, five-year right of renewals, totalling 30 years.
Nature of our Business
- Provide community rental housing.
- Linking tenants to services, providing a holistic wrap around approach.
- Property portfolio management.
- Christchurch region – from Belfast in the north, to Templeton in the South, including properties in Banks Peninsula.
- Building new community homes.
- To provide a tenant-centric service delivery model where we actively work with tenants to sustain their tenancies.
- To provide tenancy management services that meet the needs of our tenants by navigating them to other social services as required.
- To empower tenants to participate in shaping OCHT’s services through our Tenant Advisory Group.
- To create communities where tenants actively participate in activities within their community and the wider community.
- To maintain registration as a Community Housing Provider (CHP) and uphold a collaborative relationship with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA) by operating with integrity, transparency and in accordance with all performance standards.
- To be financially sustainable and fiscally prudent.
- To provide quality minor maintenance services, taking into consideration social enterprise opportunities and innovative solutions that result in cost efficiencies and increased tenant satisfaction.
- To increase the social housing stock in Christchurch and, at a minimum, build 400 units to replace those lost due to the Christchurch earthquakes.
- To seek opportunities for growth through central government procurement processes such as new capacity and supply contracts.
OCHT is a registered Community Housing Provider (CHP) committed to delivering better and continuously-improving tenant outcomes. The team collectively has 145 years of social housing experience, making OCHT a highly experienced and expert local provider of social housing solutions.
To provide safe, warm and secure affordable housing for people in our communities.
- Honesty and Integrity we act with sincerity and empathy, we do what is right, not what is easy.
- Respect we show people that they and their well being are important to us by what we say and do.
- Empathy we understand the needs of our tenants and stakeholders.
- Transparency we operate in a way that it is easy for others to see what actions are performed.
- Celebration we recognise and celebrate the efforts and achievements of the people we help, volunteers, supporters and employees.
- Environmental Sustainability we consider the environment in all business decisions.
Respect and Honesty
Our team is here to help you at every point, and we will always be professional, polite, and responsive. It also means we’ll always do our best to:
- Return your calls as soon as possible within our regular office hours
- Process out-of-hours calls to be followed up on the next day
- Respond to maintenance issues in a timely way
Looking to the Future
OCHT is working with Government and Council to increase social housing in Christchurch. Watch with space as we update on progress with our first three projects to deliver 40 new homes for Christchurch. OCHT is also part of the collaborative that supports homelessness in Christchurch.